Government Carried Out A Mass Shooting & Instead Of Charging Themselves, They Banned Food trucks
We’ll take out the food trucks and problem solved.”
Denver, CO — In Lower Downtown Denver six innocent people were shot as multiple gunmen opened fire into a crowd of people early on a Sunday morning on July 17th. No one was held accountable because the bullets which struck the innocent people were taxpayer-funded.
After repeatedly denying the request for video for a month, last week, the Denver police department released it. It showed their officers recklessly firing into a crowd in their attempt to kill 21-year-old Jordan Waddy — who was seen on video dropping a gun and raising his hands in the air — before officers opened fire.
The newly released video shows that Waddy never pointed the gun at officers and had, in fact, dropped it to the ground before they opened fire on the crowd. Denver police previously said Waddy was holding the gun by the slide on the top when the officers fired — which means he couldn’t even fire it — but this video proves he wasn’t holding it at all when he was shot.
So far, the only person charged in this incident was Waddy, who currently faces three counts of possession of a weapon by a previous offender and one count of third-degree assault.
After they carried out a mass shooting, police would later admit that “something went wrong,” claiming that their response that night was “concerning” — a massive understatement.
“It’s certainly concerning and demands a review from the police department from a tactics standpoint, from a policy standpoint,” Matt Clark, a lieutenant in the Denver Police Department said at a press conference after the shooting. “Did something go wrong? Yes, six people that shouldn’t have gotten injured that night got injured.”
Indeed, any time innocent people are harmed by the state, something has gone terribly awry. But here we are, over a month after the shooting and none of the officers have faced accountability and the only people to suffer consequences besides Waddy and the 6 innocent bystanders — are Denver food truck operators, seriously.
That’s right. Instead of figuring out what went wrong that night and what led up to police officers disregarding the lives of hundreds of innocent people in an attempt to kill a man for dropping a gun, city officials banned food trucks who had absolutely nothing to do with the shooting.
As Westword reports, the Denver Police Department announced that food trucks would no longer be allowed to operate between 19th and 20th streets on Blake Street, 19th and 21st streets on Market Street, and 20th and 21st streets on Larimer on Fridays and Saturdays.
Clearly those 6 innocent bystanders would’ve been spared had these evil food trucks not precipitated the environment which led to cops shooting into a crowd. Had the food trucks not been there that night — according to police — cops could’ve killed Waddy without shooting bystanders… or something like that.
“We’ll take out the food trucks and problem solved,” Sanjin Mutic, a food truck operator affected by the ban said sarcastically in an interview with 9News. “Reality is the crowds are still going to be here, they’re still going to be drinking, partying and the police will still have to be involved for keeping the peace down here.”
Mutic says the ban on food trucks, which are now required to set up multiple blocks away from the bar area, is hurting local families.
“Ninety-nine percent of the trucks down here are owned by immigrants, people who speak broken English, who have much more limited access to resources than a bar or restaurant, a hotel down the street would,” Mutic told 9News. “If we’re speaking about 20 food trucks, you’re most likely looking at 30 to 40 families that rely on a livelihood from down here.”
“Food truck owners often come from disadvantaged backgrounds. They also tend to have less money and fewer political connections than other business owners,” Justin Pearson, senior attorney at the Institute for Justice (IJ), told Reason. “Sadly, this makes them an attractive target when powerful city officials make an embarrassing mistake and are looking for a scapegoat.”
On the same day body camera footage was released, Pearson penned a letter to the Denver government appealing to logic by explaining the food trucks had nothing to do with hurting the bystanders.
“Although recent violence in the neighborhood supposedly motivates this ban, it is undisputed that food trucks had nothing to do with the violence,” Pearson wrote, adding that the ban is “misguided to punish certain small-business owners who had nothing to do with the problem while allowing others to remain open.”
Pearson says that the ban not only hurts these small business owners for no reason but it actually makes the area less safe.
“Worse, if the concern is public safety, then banning food trucks is counterproductive,” Pearson said, citing a 2012 study, conducted by IJ, which “found that food trucks actually ‘serve as eyes on the street and make the street a safer, more enjoyable place to visit. Their presence can help prevent crime and revitalize underused public spaces.’ In other words, banning food trucks from an area makes that area less safe, not more.”
Only government would think that pushing innocent struggling families further into poverty is a solution to government hurting innocent bystanders a month earlier. Shameful indeed.
Article posted with permission from Matt Agorist