Trump Admin Caves – Foreigners Taking Online-Only Classes Won’t Be Deported
Well, we see it once again. This administration’s bark is worse than its bite. The Trump administration backed down from a promise to deport foreign college students enrolled in online classes rather than in-person classes this fall.
The New American reports:
The administration announced last week that international students must transfer or leave the country if their school classes are to be held only online. This was to restore the regulation that already existed prior to being suspended by DHS in March as an accommodation for the COVID-19 outbreak.
The move provoked immediate backlash and lawsuits from Harvard and MIT against both the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
The lawsuit was supported by colleges, municipalities, and tech companies.
Students from the University of California – Berkeley went so far as to plan to create a fake one-person course with the sole aim of undermining the regulation and helping foreign students avoid deportation.
A Facebook post circulated by students made clear that the course would serve no educational purpose for the student body at large and would be “ONLY for students who are international and need a physical component to remain in the United States.”
A court date was set for Tuesday, but Judge Allison Burroughs of the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts announced instead that the universities had reached an agreement with both ICE and DHS.
“The Court was informed by the parties that they have come to a resolution to the combined temporary restraining order/preliminary injunction motions,” read the court docket. “The Government has agreed to rescind the July 6, 2020 Policy Directive and the July 7, 2020 FAQ, and has also agreed to rescind their implementation.”
Dan Stein, resident of the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), blasted the Trump administration for walking back from its original decision:
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) made the correct initial determination to suspend the visas of students enrolled in universities offering only online education. International students are not immigrants, they are temporary visitors. There is no legal or practical reason justifying their continued presence in the United States if they were enrolled in online-only education. The initial rule already provided flexibility for students enrolled in schools utilizing hybrid or traditional approaches to reopening schools in the fall while protecting the F-1 and M-1 program from more fraud than already exists.
This, unfortunately, is yet another example of the administration caving to the pressure of the business lobby and open borders advocates who continue crafting the narrative that international students are somehow anything more than temporary visitors.
What many media outlets fail to point out is that the face-to-face policy which the administration attempted to re-implement was already the norm prior to March, when DHS suspended it due to the coronavirus.
As the writer points out, “This could open up a major can of worms in which new foreigners are able to get work permits in the United States by paying tuition fees to online-only colleges and applying to the Optional Practical Training (OPT) and the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) programs.”
Without a face-to-face rule, many additional foreigners will be able to get work permits by paying tuition fees to online-only colleges.
“If it is 100 percent online, with no requirement to show up for class … we’re getting into potential labor trafficking,” said Kevin Lynn, founder of U.S. Tech Workers. “That’s why we have to get rid of OPT,” he said.
Currently, the universities make $40 billion from foreign students seeking work permits — and the Fortune 500 earn many additional billions as foreign students push down wages in entry-level jobs.
But the OPT program is threatened by President Donald Trump, who issued curbs on June 22 and directed his deputies to write new regulations.
The universities sued the government because they want to preserve their revenues, said Ken Cuccinelli, the acting deputy secretary of homeland defense “What’s really driving them is the moolah — that’s their big interest,” Cuccinelli told Sirius XM’s Breitbart News Daily host Alex Marlow.
“Don’t forget the one big thing — the old ‘Follow the Money,” he said July 9. “They’re making big, big money.”
A poll shows the obvious: Voters strongly oppose the sale of work permits to migrants by the universities' #OPT program.
They'll dislike it more when they see how OPT shoves them & their college-grad kids out of Fortune 500 jobs & the middle class. #H1Bhttps://t.co/LFKmMJQRzX
— Neil Munro (@NeilMunroDC) July 13, 2020
…Nationwide, roughly 500,000 OPT and CPT work permits are used by foreigners to take jobs sought by the American graduates of Harvard, MIT, and many additional colleges.
Fewer than 20,000 of the OPT work permits go to foreigners who have earned PhD.s.
Some foreign students win jobs at elite companies, often with the help of co-ethnic hiring managers. The federal data shows that in 2018, Amazon used the OPT program to hire 2,911 foreigners, Intel hired 1,348 foreigners, Google hired 1,193, and Microsft hired 867.
Obviously, big corporations enjoy hiring foreigners over Americans for several reasons, including lower wages and benefits protections and they aren’t as likely to quit their jobs as Americans are due to the fact that they may lose their visas.
We know it’s about one thing though really… money. Corrupt politicians and criminal corporations will be the downfall of the US.
Article posted with permission from Sons of Liberty Media